Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
Within the MIPS path in 2018, there are four performance categories that Eligible Clinicians will be submitting data on to receive a composite score and determine payment adjustments:
- Quality – This component will be based on Clinical Quality Measures (CQM), some of which will be carrying over from the PQRS program. CQR has the capability of reporting CQMs for this component.
- Improvement Activities – This component has 100+ activities to choose from, each being weighted. These activities cross 6 subcategories and include activities such as same day appointments for urgent needs, timely communication of test results, use of surgical checklists, etc.
- Advancing Care Information – This component will take on many attributes of the Meaningful Use objectives with measures such as e-Prescribing, Patient Access, Medication Reconciliation and HIE all be a part of this component. Again, like the Quality component CQR already has the capability of reporting measures that are numerator/denominator calculations.
- Cost – This category replaces the Value-Based Modifier. The cost of the care you provide will be calculated by CMS based on your Medicare claims. Beginning in 2018, this performance category will count towards your MIPS final score.
2018 MIPS Reporting Period – Providers electing the MIPS route have several options:
- Don’t Participate – If you don’t send in data in 2018, you will receive a negative 5% payment adjustment in 2020.
- Avoid the Penalty – If you submit a minimum amount of data in 2018, you can avoid a downward payment adjustment in 2020.
- Report to all components (2 options) – The Quality component and Cost component must be reported for a full calendar year in 2018, however providers have a choice in the reporting period for the ACI and Improvement activity components.
- 90-Day ACI and Improvement Activity – If you submit 90 days of data in 2018, you may earn a neutral or positive payment adjustment in 2020.
- Full Year ACI and Improvement Activity – If you submit a full year of data in 2018, you may earn a neutral or positive payment adjustment in 2020.
How can Quatris help?
A key advantage of being a Quatris customer is that we have a wealth of MIPS resources available. The resources include Job Aids, Troubleshooting Guides, Webinars and much more. These resources can help you understand the measures and how to meet them in Centricity, and can provide information on the overall Quality Payment Program and attestation process. You must be a customer of Quatris Health and have Podio access to obtain these resources. If you do not have access to Podio you may request this access by contacting us at 817-282-0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quatris also offers MIPS Consulting Services. We offer three levels of assistance and are committed to your Quality Reporting success. Refer to the MIPS Consulting Services webpage for more information or call Mike Keller at 817-282-0300.
Lastly, to receive MIPS specific emails, please sign up for our MIPS TIPS listserv HERE.
Centricity utilizes a cloud-based reporting model known as CQR (Clinical Quality Reporting). CQR allows providers to carry out their day-to-day workflows in Centricity and then provides them with a Dashboard Report to monitor their outcomes.